Boerewors is a popular traditional South African sausage that is made from beef, mixed with either pork or lamb and a mixture of spices. Boerewors are quite tasty and a favourite for the majority of the population in South Africa and are traditionally served in a coiled shape. Through this post, you will all learn how to prepare Boerewors easily.
- 1KG Beef, Lean pork, and Lamb or mutton
- 2 Tablespoons of table or sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon of coriander
- ½ Teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- ½ Cup of brown vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon of ground cloves
- 200 g Sausage Casings
Steps in Preparing Boerewors
1. Cube all the meat together and mince them together.
2. While doing this, place the coriander in a deep-frying pan.
3. Stir until it browns, then break it up in the pan.
4. After doing this, place all the meat and dry spices into a bowl.
5. Add the vinegar to the bowl, then leave the mixture to marinade in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
6. Once this time has passed, soak the sausage casings in water.
7. Once done, fill them with your boerewors mixture using a sausage maker.
And that’s all! Once complete, you’re free to cook the boerewors as you see fit, then serve.